Functional Use Codes



00 Provide Info (for use by Data Administrator only)
01 General and/or Lower Division Formal Instruction
02 Upper Division and/or Graduate and/or Sponsored Formal Instruction
03 Physical Education Instruction
05 Instructional Support
09 Central Services - Operations & Maintenance (O&M)
10 General Administration
11 Departmental Administration
12 Non-University User
13 Sponsored Projects Administration
14 Museums
15 Research Service Centers
16 Student Services
17 Non-Research Service Centers
18 Central Services
19 Building Operations - O&M
20 Library Reader Space
21 Stacks
22 Audio-visual [Media] Services
23 Library Services and Administration
24 Archives
40 Department Research
41 Sponsored Research
42 University Research
50 Health Services
51 Student Union and/or Activities
53 Food Service
55 Athletics (Intercollegiate)
56 Residential
57 Recreational
58 Auxiliary Enterprises - Other
60 Public Service
61 Sponsored Public Service
80 Miscellaneous
85 Inactive
91 Non-assignable
99 Construction



(alpha sequence)

ARCHIVES (24): Spaces used in institution-wide archival and records management programs organized as a separate activity under the direction of the institutional librarian or some other department.

ATHLETICS (55): Spaces assigned to the intercollegiate athletic departments as opposed to those regularly associated with the instructional physical education areas or recreational uses.

AUDIO-VISUAL [MEDIA] SERVICES (22): Facilities for the production, preservation and use of recordings, slides, films, and similar materials, separately organized as a central service or under the direction of the institutional librarian. Included are facilities for the storage, circulation, and repair of projectors, tape preparation of charts, graphs, transparencies, etc., and photographic services. Also included are audio-visual studios, under the direction of the audio-visual department, and media labs, which provide informal instruction to library users in the use of audio-visual equipment and preparation of audio-visual materials.

AUXILIARY ENTERPRISES (58): Bowling alleys, game rooms, faculty clubs, parking structures, and other enterprises intended to be self-supporting.

BUILDING OPERATIONS (19) - O&M: Building services spaces, which are under the control of Facilities Services--mechanical/electrical rooms and custodial closets (use with department #8312).

CENTRAL SERVICES (18): Spaces assigned to copy centers, printing and mail services, telecommunications, laboratory stores, computing centers, etc., which serve the entire institution and which are similar to "Central Services - Ops and Maintenance (09)" or "General Administration (10)" functions, but which are not under the control of the physical plant or general administration and are not "Non-Research Service Centers (17)."

CENTRAL SERVICES (09) - OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE: All spaces under the control of the Associate Vice President for Campus Planning and Facilities Management.  Exclude Central Power Station, which is a "Non-Research Service Center (17)."  Exclude building operations spaces (mechanical/electrical rooms and custodial closets), which should be coded as "Building Operations - O&M (19)."

CONSTRUCTION (99) - Spaces undergoing construction or renovation that currently are not in active use.  Use with Type Code "Construction (594)".

DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION (11): Offices and space of the administrative head of subdivisions of an institution such as a college, school, department, or sponsored research center. Examples are the offices and space of certain deans, assistant deans and their staff, instructional department head, etc. Do not include offices of officials that administer departments for the benefit of the entire institution, such as the deans of faculty, students, etc.  Support spaces (conference rooms, storage, break rooms, etc.) generally should be considered "Departmental Administration (11)."

DEPARTMENT RESEARCH (40): Research, development, and scholarly activities that are not sponsored research and do not require a formal application or approval process.  Includes research funded by gifts, endowments, seed funding, start-up funding, and indirect cost recovery money.  Includes fellowships and instruction training grants (Sponsored Instruction).       

FOOD SERVICE (53): Include snack bars, cafeterias, serving areas, dining rooms, kitchen areas, etc., that are operated by the university.  Exclude food service and retail establishments that are leased to and operated by outside entities; these should be functionalized as "Miscellaneous (80)".  Also exclude dining areas in residence halls, which should be functionalized as "Residential (56)".

GENERAL ADMINISTRATION (10): Administrative offices, staff offices, and spaces used in the administration of the entire institution. Examples are the offices and space of the institutional president, dean of faculty, business office, and their staff. Those offices and spaces not directly involved in the overall administration of the institution will not be included.

HEALTH SERVICES (50): Health service buildings or areas designated for the purpose of providing health services to the students of an institution. The services may range from outpatient to full hospital type care.

INACTIVE (85): All spaces that are not in use at the time of the inventory because of condemnation or other similar reasons.  Spaces undergoing construction or renovation should be functionalized as "Construction (99)".

INSTRUCTION (FORMAL), LOWER DIVISION (01): All formal instructional spaces used for general and/or lower division purposes, including classrooms, teaching laboratories, seminar rooms, etc. This category does not include related instructional spaces such as faculty or staff offices and service areas used principally for related instructional support activities.

INSTRUCTION (FORMAL), UPPER DIVISION AND/OR GRADUATE AND/OR SPONSORED (02): All formal instructional spaces used for academic course levels 300 or higher, including classrooms, teaching laboratories, seminar rooms, etc. Also includes sponsored training grants (except, but not limited to, National Institutes of Health research training grants with Codes T22, T32, T35 and T37, which should be coded "Sponsored Research (41)"; contact Sponsored Projects Services for assistance if you have NIH Training Grants in your unit). In such a case, please identify the Principal Investigator or faculty primarily responsible for the training grant.

INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT (05): All spaces related to formal instruction such as faculty and staff offices, related service areas, and other spaces that might be identified with instruction but are not part of the formal instruction.
N.B. - Allocations of space between "Instructional Support (05)" and "Sponsored Research (41)" (or between other categories) should be based on actual use (this may require input from individual faculty members), not on a standard department-wide allocation.

LIBRARY READER SPACE (20): Spaces under the direction and control of the institutional librarian which provide seating to library users for the study of books and other library materials. Exclude departmental reading rooms not under the control of the librarian and all spaces classified as "Audio-Visual Services (22)."  If the space is under the control of the librarian in a department other than audio-visual, it will be classified in this category. Types of space codes classified under this Function Code are Reading/Resrouce Room (Type Code 411), Study Room (Type Code 412), Listening Room (Type Code 413), and Group Study Room (Type Code 414).

LIBRARY SERVICES AND ADMINISTRATION (23): Areas under the direction of the institutional librarian which provide supporting services to reader space ("Library Reader Space (20)" and stacks ("Stacks (21)"). All spaces not classified as reader space, stacks, audio-visual services, and archives are reported here. Include areas that provide services to library users such as service desk areas and offices for staff providing these services and offices and workrooms for acquisitions and cataloging of books and non-book materials.

MUSEUMS (14): Museums and art galleries.

NON-UNIVERSITY USER (12): Spaces used by an individual not paid by the University (e.g. visiting faculty, scientists or students paid by their home institution, or emeritus professors).  Includes spaces used by agencies that are independent of the institution; examples are governmental and non-profit independent agencies that lease space from an institution.

NON-RESEARCH SERVICE CENTERS (17): Fee-based services such as printing and mailing and similar non-scientific services. [from Circular A-21 as cited in FICM: "An operation that provides a service or product or a group of services or products for a fee to users principally within the institutional community . . . [using a rate] based on actual incurred costs and . . . on actual usage."

PHYSICAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTION (03):  Gymnasia, swimming pools, and other activity areas such as field houses, wrestling rooms, instructional dancing rooms, used for the instructional activities of the physical education department.  Support spaces for those activities, such as spectator seating, instructional equipment storage, etc., should be coded as "Instructional Support (05)".

PUBLIC SERVICE (60): Unscheduled services to the community and/or state which generally are not provided with state funds but operate on a fee basis (in some cases there is no charge), for example commercial and private testing services. Areas used for some public and professional services such as field service activities, speech-hearing clinics, etc., may be included.  Include space used by various programs and projects to provide public services financed by institutional funds (not by federal and non-federal agencies) and involving the performance of activities other than formal instruction and sponsored research. Examples of such activities are health service projects and community service programs.

RECREATIONAL (57): This category is to include all facilities for the specific purpose of providing physical recreational activity areas for students and/or staff of the institution. Exclude instructional physical education areas, intercollegiate athletic areas, and recreational areas coded in other specific categories, Function Codes 50 through 56.

RESIDENTIAL (56): Presidents' and faculty residences, family student housing, and areas in residence halls and cooperatives such as sleeping-study rooms, game-social rooms, resident lounges, resident dining rooms, etc.

RESEARCH SERVICE CENTERS (15): Space used by highly complex or specialized scientific facilities that charge for their services. Examples include science storerooms, veterinary services, CAMCOR, and Molecular Biology shared facilities. Does not include printing and mailing and similar non-scientific services, which are coded "Non-Research Service Centers (17)."

SPONSORED PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION (13): Spaces assigned to an organizational unit that serves the entire institution primarily to administer sponsored projects, including such functions as grant and contract administration, special security purchasing, and editing and publishing of research and other reports.
N.B. - Space in an academic department or research center used to administer sponsored projects should be coded as "Departmental Administration (11)."

SPONSORED PUBLIC SERVICE (61):  Include space used by various programs and projects to provide public services (financed by federal and non-federal agencies but not gifts) and involving the performance of duties other than formal instruction or sponsored research. Please identify the faculty or administrator responsible for the sponsored public service.

SPONSORED RESEARCH (41): All research activities performed by a department, institute, center, or other subdivision of the institution that are funded by a separately budgeted and accounted for grant or contract. Also includes, but is not limited to, National Institutes of Health research training grants with Codes T22, T32, T35 and T37; contact Sponsored Projects Services for assistance if you have NIH Training Grants in your unit. Services regularly offered and contracted for repeatedly, such as surveys, also are to be classified as sponsored research. This category also includes those activities performed under the auspices of formal research institutes and centers of the university.

STACKS (21): Library areas under the direction and control of the institutional librarian, which provide shelving and other storage facilities for books, bound periodicals, documents, and non-book materials. Include spaces generally known as library stacks and storage of non-book materials such as maps, aerial photographs, manuscripts, newspapers, microfilms, recordings, and slides.

STUDENT SERVICES (16): All regularly constituted student services such as counseling, registrar, admissions, career center, and financial aid that are not part of the business office. Counseling done by faculty members in their offices does not change the office from Function Code "Instructional Support (05)."

STUDENT UNION (51): Include student union administrative offices meeting rooms, lounges, etc., and student activity areas such as student body offices, campus newspaper, arts and crafts areas, etc. This code should be used for those student union spaces that do not logically fit into codes "Food Service (53)" or "Auxiliary Enterprises (58)."

UNIVERSITY RESEARCH (42): Research and development activities that are separately budgeted and accounted for by the institution within a formal, competitive proposal and review structure and under an internal application of institutional funds.



MISCELLANEOUS (80):  Used either for spaces that are leased to outside entities or, in rare instances, for those spaces that cannot otherwise be classified.

PROVIDE INFO (00):  Communicates to Unit Editors that a Function Code is required.